A Christmas, New Year’s Message
By Jerry W. Thurston
Text: Proverbs 4:23 ESV “Keep your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.” Luke 2:19 “But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.”
Intro: There are many reasons, seen and unseen, why God chose Mary to be the mother of Jesus. Her heart was a treasure chest storing the many things that God said and God did into her heart, pondering them (polishing them as agates).
I. Treasure Gathering:
1. Luke 1:26 She treasured a visit from the angel Gabriel.
2. 1:28, 30 She treasured that the Lord saw her as ‘highly favored.’
3. 1:24, 35 She treasured the Gabriel’s gentle explanation.
4. 1:36 She treasured that God gave her a godly relative who was also experiencing the supernatural to walk with her.
5. 1:37 She treasured the angel’s declaration, “For nothing will be impossible with God.”
6. 1:38 She treasured the opportunity to say yes to God and to bring forth the promised Messiah.
II. The treasure box opens.
Luke 1:40-44 An anointed greeting that released the Holy Spirit to fill both Elizabeth and baby John in her womb.
III. Another gem:
7. 1:45 She treasured the prophetic blessing of Elizabeth to her for believing and receiving God’s plan for her.
IV. The treasure box opens: The Magnificent
a) 1:46, 47 Worship “My soul magnifies the Lord.”
b) 1:48 Humble gratefulness “For he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.”
c) 1:48 Prophetic insight into the impact of this event “For behold from now on all generations will call me blessed.” Thankful
d) 1:49 Declaration of the might and holiness of God to her. “For he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.”
e) 1:50-55 An exposition of God’s character and dealings with Mary. Shown strength, scattered the proud, brought down the mighty, exalted the humble, filled the hungry with good things, the rich he sent away empty, helped his servant Israel in remembrance of his mercy as he spoke to our fathers – to Abraham and his offspring forever.
Note: Read the prophetic prayer of Hannah in 1 Sam. 2:1-16 Her declarations are the same as Mary’s.
V. Treasure gathering:
8. Luke 2: 1-7 She treasured the grace for the journey and for God’s provision of a stable (where lambs are born.)
9. 2:8-19 She treasured the marvelous words of the shepherds as confirmation and divine appreciation.
10. 2:21-38 She treasured the love and blessing of 2 elderly saints at Jesus’ ‘presentation to the Lord.’
11. 2:48-50 She treasured the words of Jesus age 12 even though she didn’t understand them (no negative reaction.)
Conclusion: Luke 2:51 “And he (Jesus) went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them and HIS MOTHER TREASURED UP ALL THESE THINGS IN HER HEART.
Note: John 2:1 Wedding at Cana of Galilee, Mary was there and opens her treasure box. vs.5 “Do whatever he tells you.” This was the point of release of Jesus’ ministry. Acts 1:14 Mary opens her treasure chest to receive and to give.
We bless you and welcome your response.